Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Child Care Aware Is A 'Godsend' For Parents

Darci Hedden of Selah tried unsuccessfully for two months to find quality child care for her twin babies, Max and Ava. Some child care centers were full. Others had space for only one of her twins...

Services for children with special needs
Accessing Services for consumers with special needs:

PAVE is a parent directed organization that works with families, individuals with disabilities, professionals and community members in all walks of life and with all types of disabilities. Since 1979, PAVE has provided information, training and support for over 1,000,000 individuals with disabilities, parents and professionals.

ADA Information Line 

The U.S. Department of Justice provides information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) through a toll-free ADA Information Line. This service permits businesses, State and local governments, or others to call and ask questions about general or specific ADA requirements including questions about the ADA Standards for Accessible Design.

ADA specialists are available Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM until 5:30 PM (eastern time) except on Thursday when the hours are 12:30 PM until 5:30 PM.

Spanish language service is also available.

For general ADA information, answers to specific technical questions, free ADA materials, or information about filing a complaint, call:
800 - 514 - 0301(voice)
800 - 514 - 0383(TTY)

ARC  - Leader in Disability Rights


We are the largest national community-based organization advocating for and serving people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.  We encompass all ages and all spectrums from autism, Down syndrome, Fragile X and various other developmental disabilities

NICHCY is very pleased to offer you a wealth of information on disabilities!   We serve the nation as a central source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth. Here, you’ll also find easy-to-read information on IDEA, the law authorizing early intervention services and special education. Our State Resource Sheets will help you connect with the disability agencies and organizations in your state. Read and freely share our many articles and publications, sign up for our newsletter, and write or call us for more personalized assistance. We are here to help.


 Division of Developmental Disabilities 

Message from the Director: People with developmental disabilities and their families are valued citizens of the state of Washington. The Division of Developmental Disabilities strives to develop and implement public policies that will promote individual worth, self-respect, and dignity such that each individual is valued as a contributing member of the community.

The Residential Service Guidelines, issued in 1988, and the County Guidelines, issued in 1992, continue to support the Department's vision, mission, and core values. Both sets of guidelines were developed by a workgroup made up of consumers and their families, residential service providers, Counties and employment providers, advocates, and Division staff. These guidelines are central to the Division’s purpose.

The Special Education Ombudsman position at OSPI was established by the Washington State Legislature during the 2005 session. The purpose of the Ombudsman is to provide support to parents, guardians, educators, and students with disabilities. The Ombudsman provides information to help families and educators understand state and federal laws, rules, regulations, and to access training and support, technical information services, and mediation services, as appropriate.

Child Abuse & Neglect Hot Line:

If you suspect that a child is being abused, abandoned or neglected, contact the agency listed below, call your local child protective services agency, or call 9-1-1. Here is a link to the Washington state agency for children services and the telephone number to report child abuse and neglect in Washington:

 Washington Department of Social and Health Services


TTY: (800) 624-6186.  Toll-Free: 866-363-4276.  Nights and Weekends: 800-562-5624.  If you do not get an answer at the above number Childhelp (800-422-4453) for assistance.  Childhelp® USA is a non-profit agency which can provide reporting numbers, and has Hotline counselors who can provide referrals.